Sunday, May 18, 2008

Who am I and what is this blog about anyway ???

Right now I work for a medium sized company where I essentially do system analysis and programming for teams of psychological researchers. Before this, I went to school for psychology and spent some time in the mental health field. I love my work and the company I work for is a decent place. But, I don't really feel satisfied with just being an employee and lately I have been thinking of trying different things out.

The first thing I tried was to go back to school and get a master's degree. I did this, but what that really did was just give me another bullet point on my resume. New degrees don't really change things - they just open up new job titles. I also came to realize that "moving up" in the corporate world really means becoming a manager, then a director, and so on.

The thing that really changed my attitude and opened up a world of possibilities was the Apple announcement that software developers would be able to sell their applications for the iPhone through an iTunes-like "AppStore". At the time, the implications seemed to be that one developer, or small teams of developers, could make a business out of something they loved to do.

I am very excited about the AppStore, however the real implication of the announcement for me is that I have started to investigate the world of internet business. There are people who have made livings by simply writing blogs, selling their products on eBay, developing software for the Mac and so on. The interesting thing is that people have managed to simply make modest livings by focusing on their particular niche.

So, now let me bring this post back around to the question of "what is this blog about". As I have been listening to podcasts and generally educating myself I realized that this path I was going down is very risky and if I wrote about it honestly then the possibility exists for some high drama. To be honest, from my perspective this world of internet business seems a little pipe dreamy. My plan is to follow this pipe dream and this blog will document the ultimate success or failure of this adventure.

No comments: